The church’s modern Gothic Revival exterior is softened by a muted pink brick and brownstone and is accented by terracotta decorations. It was completed in 1895 under architect W.L. Stevens, Sr. and contractor W.H. Miller.
Inside the sanctuary, a hammer-beam ceiling rises over an interior of pine and cypress.
A halo of three original Tiffany windows, created by the Tiffany Studios site located in New York, encircle church altar and features the Angel of the Resurrection surrounded by Easter lilies, encircled by two images of the Garden of Gethsemane.
Louis Comfort Tiffany famously worked with glass, metalwork, pottery and furniture. His stained-glass windows were renowned for their creativity and craftsmanship, and he produced them for churches, institutions and homes from 1877 and well into the 1920s.
The windows were delivered to the church in February of 1910. William Connell, a vestryman and prominent attorney, was granted approval from the Vestry in 1909 to donate the windows in honor of his wife and mother-in-law, Eleanor Garig Connell and Elvira Doughert Garig, respectively. They were formally dedicated in 1910, on Easter Sunday.
All Tiffany glass was personally manufactured, and his trademarked mottled glass appears in the Angel of the Resurrection design.
The chancel is surrounded by Gothic Revival lancet panels, created along with the building in 1895. Thirty-three of the 36 panels were filled with the woodworking craftsmanship of the Rev. Joseph L. Tucker, who worked on the project from 1900 to 1906. The remaining three panels were completed by his son, Rev. Louis Tucker, who finished the project with the help of the youth group he formed upon his arrival to St. James, where he was called to succeed his father as the new rector.
Memorial windows were commissioned from the Jacoby Art Glass Company of St. Louis. The completed windows were dedicated on May 9, 1948. Each window illustrates a Gospel story. In the lancet windows in the north transept include the following, counter-clockwise to the rear: the nativity; Jesus as a child teaching in the temple; the baptism of Jesus, and Jesus healing the sick.
On the south side of the nave, going counter-clockwise, there are depictions of the Transfiguration, the Good Shepherd, and Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.
The south transept window depicts the triumphant entry of Christ into Jerusalem. A single rose window is located above each of the transept windows: the Agnus Dei is shown in the south, while an open Bible emblazoned with the Greek alpha and omega appears above the nativity illustration. At the west end of the church, a double lancet window depicting the Ascension of Christ can be found.
The Chapel of the Twelve Apostles features a box bay window depicting the symbols for each of Christ’s apostles.
Outside of the sanctuary space, St. James church grounds contain the following buildings:
- Parish Hall: Our Parish Hall, adjacent to the sanctuary, is a multi-use building with space for Day School classrooms, a cafeteria, the church nursery, a brides’ room, and the Chapel of the Twelve Apostles, as well as a formal parlor for social gatherings.
- Bishops Hall: Bishops Hall, located beside the Parish Hall, is a gym and a multi-use facility. The Day School uses the gym daily for physical education classes. Large gatherings for the Day School and the Church are also held there. On Fridays during Lent, the Episcopal Church Workers, with help from volunteers from the church and Day School, convert Bishops Hall into a gumbo restaurant, complete with a live jazz band making it a popular downtown lunch destination.
- The Ministries Center: Across Fourth Street, the Ministries Center houses the administrative offices for the church and rooms for our food bank and We Care Bags, EYC, Vestry, and Christian Education classes.
- Killgore Hall: Killgore Hall, located behind Bishops Hall on Florida Boulevard, completes the footprint for St. James. It is a multi-use building with apartments, offices, and storage